experimental video: dream sleep

The initial inspiration and spark for my video was the colors that flash around behind your eyelids when you shut your eyes tight. From this idea I started to animate some brightly colored dots using my iPad and  the app Procreate. I started with a blank, black screen, and slowly added more dots and more colors until the screen was completely full. It began to make me think of dreams, and so it slowly morphed into a video representing the state when you are dreaming. 

As the colored dots are continually added, the speed picks up, and things get more and more chaotic. Then, at a point a peak is reached and the dots start to slow down and disappear again until there is a blank screen once more. Slowly an eye opens to birds chirping, surrounded by a sunrise. 

In McLuhan's The Media is the Massage it states that "all media are extensions of some human facultypsychic or physical" (26). My video does just this, mimicking the state and feeling of one in a dream, a human faculty. Another quote from the book from Wordsworth says, "the eyeit cannot choose but see; we cannot bid the ear be still; our bodies feel, where'er they be, against or with our will" (44). Most of us cannot dictate or control when or what we dream about, it just happens. Dream Sleep reflects this and seeks to illustrate it visually. 

Comments

  1. I love this video experimental. Great job

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your video. You definitely captured what it feels like to be dreaming. Not only with the colors but how you edited it. How they can feel slow or incredibly fast, and then suddenly they're over and fading away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting to my commenting late, but I enjoyed watching your video, it's kind of meditative and calming. One of my favorite features is how the pacing, which isn't often perceived, is very emphasized by the simplicity of the visuals (which are beautiful!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I AM CONNECTED TO THIS ARTWORK SINCE IT ACTUALLY ILLUSTRATE THE IMAGE WHEN EVERYTIME I CLOSE MY EYE I SEE. LIKE MOST DARK BUT SOME VAGUE LIGHT SPOTS. THATS IS REALLY AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts