introduction: my world

A photo I took of the vast clouds while driving through Idaho.

Hi! My name is Jessie (she/her), and I’m a current sophomore from northern California. I actually drove over five days through Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska, and Iowa to get here. 


Stopped to visit the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah.

I studied from home last year, so this is my first time living on campus. I’ll also be playing on the women’s ice hockey team. I’m currently undecided on my major, but I’m interested in film and art. I absolutely love watching movies, and could talk about them forever. I also enjoy photography and graphic design. In Intro to Computer Design last year I experimented on all the different Adobe software. One of my favorite projects was a trailer I created in Adobe Premiere of the film Moonstruck as if it were a horror movie. 


A logo I created in Adobe Illustrator of a restaurant I made up.

As an artist I wish to reflect the things I’m passionate about like film and photography, as well as social issues. I’m inspired by viewing others’ work, and especially excited by the intersection of film and graphic design, such as the art of Saul Bass. I also love everything animation and stop motion, as well as cartoons and comics. 


Poster for the Hitchcock film Vertigo created by Saul Bass. 

Our lives today are consumed by technology. Even though Marshall McLuhan’s The Medium is the Massage was published years ago in 1967, years before technology became prevalent, it still is extremely relevant today (54 years later!). McLuhan describes how, “electric technology fosters and encourages unification and involvement” (8). Especially in our current environment amidst the pandemic, technology and social media is heavily relied on to communicate and keep in touch with others. There are, of course, both pros and cons to having everything available to us with the touch of a button; “electrical information devices for universal, tyrannical womb-to-tomb surveillance are causing a very serious dilemma between our claim to privacy and the community’s need to know” (12). 


The Medium is the Massage by Marshall McLuhan.

Comments

Popular Posts